Makes 2 servings | 30 mins |
Mac and Cheese... but make it vegan.
These days eating plant based doesn't have to mean missing out on any of your favourite guilty pleasures. Vegan mac and cheese is pretty easy to find in 2021, and a quick Google search will provide ample cashew based recipes for you to satisfy that craving for a generous helping of this childhood classic.
But have you ever thought about using butternut squash? Most plant based alternatives to mac and cheese use nut based sauces, so butternut squash is a great alternative for anyone who is vegan and suffers from a nut allergy (that's right, we exist!) In fact, this dish is not only nut free but also dairy free, egg free, soy free AND gluten free when made with gluten free pasta.
Despite being 'everything-but-the-kitchen-sink' free, butternut mac is just as rich and hearty as the classic recipe. The sweet, subtle nuttiness of the butternut squash, when blended into a creamy puree, is the perfect 'cheesy' pairing to macaroni.
All you need is 10 ingredients and 30 minutes to spare, and ANYONE can enjoy this healthy, wholesome take on a traditional comfort meal. We've also added our unflavoured RITUAL protein to give this dish a protein boost!
- 200g macaroni pasta
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped
- 1 white potato, peeled
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp RITUAL protein
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Boil or steam the potato and squash until cooked
- Cook the pasta for the required time (details will be on packaging) and drain, while saving 1/2 a cup of pasta water. Leave in the saucepan.
- Once the potato and squash are cooked add them into a high speed blender with all the other ingredients and pasta water. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add the sauce to the pasta in the saucepan and mix together. If needed, heat before serving.
- Pour into a bowl and enjoy!
Thanks to @phitzee for this delicious recipe!